G. Earl Hay - Stepback Cupboard / Dry Sink - ?

Mark Cassidy

Recently I acquired an extremely well made stepback cupboard along with a dry sink. Both pieces have the initials "GEH" hand etched on the undersides in 1/8" block style letters. The cupboard is dated '81, and the dry sink '83.

Now the only information that I could obtain was from the "A Reference Guide to Miniature Makers  Marks". In the book it is noted that he was an IGMA artisan. Although the signature depicted in the book does not match. I have to imagine that trying to hand etch, as opposed to signing, a signature might be a bit more difficult. In doing an internet search I was unable to find any reference photos of Mr. Hays' work.

My question is. Has one of the members ever seen pieces created by Mr. Hays' that would indicate that these were made by him? And if they were...how rare are these? I got the impression from reading his short bio that he may have migrated from making miniature furniture to making Adirondack based twig furniture in miniature.

I have posted two photos of the two pieces along with a photo, that a friend sent to me, of a dry sink that was make by George Hoffman. With the exception of the doors and back splash being different. They are virtually the same.

Any help from one of the members would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

DSCN6422.JPG

DSCN6423.JPG

Hoffman.jpg